Stalker ! Yes , you !


Wednesday, November 12, 2008

D' Pearl of the Orient

Last week, I took a detour to Penang Island before coming back home. I went Penang with Kelvin for vacation. Yes, just the 2 of us. Initially , Pam was supposed to bring us around, but she went back late because of her noobness certain reasons. So, we stayed at 75 Travellers Lodge. They have rooms at very low cost .
This is my second trip to Penang, having gone there, at end of last year. Last time around, we travelled around Penang, mostly by car, while this time, Kelvin and I took the most traditional way of getting around. Yes, walking ( although Kelvin has a horrible sense of direction) and bus . In fact, I got to know the place better. No wonder those Westerners like to go backpacking.

Kelvin decides to start camping at LCCT ( Low Cost Courier Terminal )


We had our first meal in Penang at this place, situated along Penang Road. Initially , we wanted to go to the famous Kayu Nasi Kandar, but , unfortunately it was closed. At first, we asked about the price of the chicken, but the guy started talking about 4 chops and 8 chops which puzzled both of us. Then , another guy came along and started talking in Hokkien. LOL.

This is what I ate. Kelvin with his food. He was rather irritated that it was too spicy.LOL.

After food, I lead Kelvin over to Prangin Mall. We decided to watch a movie there since, there was nothing else to do . LOL. After a debate on what to watch, we decided to settle for High School Musical 3. I haven't watch HSM 1 or 2, but was tempted to watch the 3rd sequal as reviews have applauded it as better than its predecessors.


Yes. Georgetown is a world herritage site recognised by UNESCO.Both Malacca and Georgetown are historic cities of the Straits of Malacca.

"Sar Ho Fen" at Lebuh Kimberly.

The next morning , we set out to explore Love Lane, which was supposed to be a red light district ( according to a friend from Penang). We wanted to sink our teeths on the chicken rice on Julia Chulia Street , but unfortunately it was not open in the morning. Sad case. I had this Hokkien Char at Carnavon Street instead.

Trademark of Penang kopitiams.You'll have ton of ice in your beverage even if you asked for less ice. That's for cold drinks of course.


Kek Lok Si These creatures are hungry. You can feed them with kangkung. =)

The main reason we went to Air Itam. Yes. Just for the laksa.

It's much of a family business.

D' famous Penang laksa. True enough, it lived up to it's name. It was excellent. In fact, 100 times better than the Penang laksa which I tried last year at Penang Road. Well, since it's different than our own local Sarawak laksa, I'm not going to compare it.=) You can't compare oranges and apples , right?

Hungry Kelvin
Next, we took the Rapid Penang to Teluk Bahang, near Batu Ferringhi. In fact, Batu Ferringhi has an excellent sea view, with blue sparkling sea. Reminds me of the time, I was in New Zealand.

It's 10 ringgit per entrance for My Card holders.
There was one section for displaying arts and crafts. Too bad, I wasn't allowed to take photos.

Komtar.

We went down to New Lane near Macalister Road for dinner.

One comment sight that I notice in Penang is amount of people going around asking for money.

I sat there eating for less than an hour and about 5 people walked pass asking for money. In fact, I was watching an old man bugging a caucasian for money. Yes, he was trying to call the caucasian , but the guy just ignored him.

Poh Pia -RM2.40 ( Not bad, but I could find bigger ones in Kuching.)
Char Kueh Tiao-RM 5 & and extremely long wait


Wan Tan Mee-RM3 ( It was rather sweet for my liking.)
As I was still hungry. I decided to walk along Macalister Road to search for any shrine of gluttony.

This is the Hokkien Mee from Macalistair Road. It was rather spicy but good. In fact, it was rather similar to Sarawak laksa in some sense.

Some sea view near our place.


I was standing in front of some mansion recognised by UNESCO. Or was I posing ?
Chicken rice shop recommended by Jessica.

Food More food

The soya bean at that shop was also nice.



Next stop, New World Park along Jalan Burma
Hokkien Char

Cendol
Dinner was taken at some tandori chicken shop. Sweet Lasi ( some yogurt like drink )
Tandori Chicken Ais Kacang which we had at 2 am.
Overall, my 4 days 3 nights trip in Penang was a rather enjoyable one despite the absence of Penangites to guide us around.
ps-Certain parts of the trip was omitted from the post to preserve the "good boy" images of the individuals involved.

2 comments:

Capablanca said...

Hmmm, how come this post look so familiar? Oh, I know, cause Kelvin Chiong gets there faster than you and wrote a same post with the same picture. :P

Siao Kia said...

Greate one !!!

Sitemeter

Free Hit Counter

About This Blog

The author is a little insane. And this is his blog afterall. So click the big red X button on top, if you find anything offensive. No posts or comments are intended to insult anyone in any form.

  © Blogger template Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP